Friday, January 7, 2011

50's COCA COLA RED WORK TOWEL-TUTORIAL

Photobucket
THERE IS A CLOSE UP PICTURE AT THE BOTTOM OF TUTORIAL
I came up with this design for my daughter at Christmas Time.  She has a kitchen decorated in 50's restaurant style.
I could not find anything on the internet with coca cola patterns.  I did have a cup with a older coke emblem on it.
That gave me the idea of doing it myself.  As my mom said "when there is a will there is a way."
You should be able to take the instructions given below to copy most any design to embroider.
I did the embroider in what they called Red Embroidery.  For more information on this click here RED WORK EMBROIDERY
Photobucket
SUPPLIES
1.  Any design that you want to embroider on a t-towel.
2.  Tracing Paper
3.  scissors
4.  ruler
5. Pen for tracing
6. Heat Transfer Pencil  (click)
7. Flour sack type towels
8. Iron
9. Restickable Glue Stick (click)
Photobucket
I used this (click here) Hamburger Pattern to create my hamburger.


Photobucket

1.  Take your design (my cup in supply picture) and using a copy machine or home printer to copy the design.
2.  Then taking that picture enlarge the picture until you get it the size you want for your kitchen towel.
3.  Using your pen or pencil trace out the cola bottle on your tracing paper. I then took the traced small bottle and kept enlarging it to get it the right size for my towel.
4.  Do the same with the hamburger.  I eliminated the face on the hamburger for my design.
5.  I traced the coca-cola name and enlarged it also to the size I wanted.
Photobucket
6.  Using another piece of tracing paper take a (click here) Restickable Glue Stick and glue your traced items onto the paper in just a couple places on each item. This will be your pattern, so place it the way you want it positioned on your towel.
Note: it was a good thing I used Restickable Glue Stick because I had the coke bottle going the wrong direction in the picture.
Photobucket
7.  Flip the tracing paper with the pattern underneath.
8.  At this point you may want to draw a line to place the name in the center of your design.
9.  Using your pencil or pen trace the designs onto the tracing paper.
Photobucket
This is what it should look like.  In this picture the coca-cola  paper is still attached to the back.  I wanted to make sure that I had it where I wanted it.
Photobucket
10.  Now with your pattern flipped over, trace all of your design with your Heat Transfer Pencil.
Photobucket
11. Take your flour sack towel and fold in half and press with your iron.
12.  On this fold ironed line cut your flour sack down the middle.
13.  Cut the hems off.
14.  At this point using my cutting board and rotary cutter I evened out the towel by trimming off the uneven edges.
Photobucket
15. Pen your homemade transfer pattern onto the middle of your towel.  Leave enough room if you are going to sew trim on the bottom edge of your towel.
16.  Use your heated up iron and sit your iron on one section.  Lift and do another section.  DO NOT MOVE THE IRON AROUND OR IT WILL SMEAR.  When you think you have ironed over the entire pattern do it again.  Then check the design by undoing a bottom pen and carefully lift to see if the design is on your towel.
embroidery traced t-towel
This is what it will look like when transfered to your towel.
embroidery hoop
You are now ready to embroider your design.
Photobucket
Here is a close up of my finished towels.
I did not take pictures of the decorated borders for a tutorial.  Here is a (click here) TUTORIAL on how to add borders to the bottom of your towels.
Hope you enjoyed my towels-I really enjoyed creating the patterns.
Feel free to copy anything here and use as you wish.