Thursday, January 27, 2011

DIY GLASSES CASE

Photobucket
HOMEMADE EYE GLASS CASES
I cannot read a thing without my glasses.  I must take them everywhere I go.  My old purchased cases were falling apart so I looked on line and found many nice looking cases I could sew.  The problem was that the glasses could easily fall out of these cases. Therefore the cases were put on the back burner so to speak for the time being.
When I had to make a trip to California I prayed about it and said I need a design for Eye Glass cases.
While warming up my rolls in my MICROWAVE BAGS the Lord brought to my mind that I could make them like these bags only much smaller.


Photobucket
The next day I headed off to my smaller pieces of fabric stash.  My mother had given me this already quilted fabric.  It was perfect for making my glass cases.
I used the same principles as in my MICROWAVE BAGS to sew up these bags. Just click on MICROWAVE BAGS and learn how to sew these little eye cases.
The  difference was to measure my glasses by length and width and add about 1 1/2 inches to width and 2" to the length.  This allows for a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
Also I did not have to add the linings in this case because this was already quilted fabric.


Photobucket
Now on this case you can see at the bottom that it is different.  I needed to accommodated for the thickness of my sun glasses.


Photobucket
To solve the problem above I used the procedure that I did to this old bag. This bag was made several years ago from a sewing book of Nancy's Sewing.
As you can see the bag is inside out.  At the bottom side you can see how I gave this bag width inside.


Photobucket
This is how you sew either side corner.  When I do this now I trim this to about a 5/8 inch width seam and zig zag the edge. Of course on the glass cases it is much smaller but the technique is the same.
I took these eye cases with me on vacation and never lost my glasses or had them fall out of the cases.
Thats all there is to it.